ST. AUGUSTINE'S ABBEY. ABBEYSIDE, DUNGARVAN, WA...Sign In or Register to add photos
Adjacent to the site of McGraths' Castle in Abbeyside, Dungarvan are the ruins of the Augustinian Abbey founded by the Clan McGrath in 1290 AD. Both the Clan McGrath and the Clan O'Brien became benefactors respectively of the the Abbey. Although the Abbey was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell's forces in 1649 AD, the augustinians have remained and flourished in the Dungarvan area. Today the ruined abbey shares the ground on which it stands with the beautiful 19th Century St. Augustine's Church, Abbeyside, Dungarvan. The abbey site is marked with a plaque that commemorates the contribution the Clan McGrath and O'Brien made to the foundation of the abbey and the abbey contains the grave of Donal McGrath dated 1470 AD under the arch entrance of the nearby 'Cloghas'. McGrath?s Castle once stood, six stories high in a field on the left hand side of Friars Walk, a few hundred yards from the Abbey. Although the exact date of construction cannot be ascertained, it is commonly believed that the castle was built in the early 13th century. The Village probably grew up around the castle and the Irish speaking natives called the area Dun na Mainistreach, meaning Fort of the Monastery. The Castle was owned by the McGrath?s of Sleady. All accounts indicate that the McGraths were good and generous to the neighbouring Friars, providing them with food for their sustenance and land for their settlement.